Sunday, August 12, 2012

Responsibility's a b!tch!

In case you don't know me well enough (or in some cases, lately enough), I am a teacher....well, I want to be a teacher. I have the degree and the drive and EVERYTHING, but I don't have the job. I've been trying for three years now to get a teaching job, but no luck.
Yep, that's me @ 0:15. Lol. Anyways, this blog is not about that. Not directly anyways. So, no teaching job for me. But, last semester and this upcoming year, things are a little better. I actually have a job. I am the MathLab assistant at DSCC. Fancy, huh?

My job is basically helping people with the math and software that we do in the MathLab, everything from Pre-Algebra to College Algebra. My boss is great, but she is a force of a lady. You do what you are supposed to, then you and Mrs. Daniel=cool. You act a fool in her class, then be prepared. She's not mean, she's a college professor. Something these right-out-of-high-school brats and I'm-older-than-you-so-you-can't-tell-me-what-to-do people can seem to tell the difference between. But I am getting sidetracked...again. I do that alot. (^_*)

So last semester in the MathLab, I did my share of work. Mostly what Mrs. Daniel told me to do, which is cool. The couple times I had ideas, she totally heard me out; she just followed through on them instead of letting me. Makes sense. This semester, things seem to be different already. For example, we needed a student sign-in template. Mrs. Daniel knew what she wanted and even kinda plotted it out. But she let ME design it. I was stoked (There's a word I've never used before, and hopefully never will again.)! Then we were discussing these workshops we will be having, and you know what: she's letting me run an entire one by myself!

This is where the b!tch comes in. Yes, I am glad that she trusts me to do this, but geez-louise, it takes quite a bit of prep and the thought of standing up there and doing this in front of her (not the students, mind you, becasue I've done stuff like this all summer in front of students) kinda makes me nervous. Is it wrong of me to hope nobody shows up for it? Eh, I know it is, especially since some students really need it. Oh well. I will do what thousands of teachers have done before me when the nerves are firing and the butterflies are stomach-fluttering: suck it up and go on with it!

Gee, this should be fun.......................

No comments: